It's been abit of a long haul due to my right hand, but I finally have my bust done. I had a lot of fun with this piece, which was created for the ADO Monochromatic Challenge.
Some WIP pics:
Some WIP pics:
The clay I use is Prosculpt. The head was sculpted over an aluminum foil egg shape. The neck was a 16 gauge wire, covered in foil and floral tape and then covered in clay. The base was a small novelty tin bucket I had that I covered in floral tape and then clay.
When painting over polymer clay I like to use a coat of gesso, or in a pinch, white acrylic paint. I find this gives a bit of a 'toothy' base for the finishing shades of paint to grab onto.
I was going with a neutral ivory/light mocha monochramatic theme for this piece and used Golden Titan Buff acrylic paint (2 coats) for the underlying skin colour. I then used
watered down Burnt Umber, adding it in small areas and rubbing it off to give an antiqued look.
After 'antiquing' the piece, I painted the lips and eyes. I also added any shading that I thought had to be done. The eyes were glazed with a 3D lacquer and the skin was sealed with a satin matt sealer.
The above pic was posted in a previous blog - one of the hardest parts of any piece I create is figuring out what fabrics and trims to use!
A follower of my blog saw the 'fabric indecision' pic and contacted me that she wanted this piece. I thought I had her finished yesterday however was not totally happy. I sent some pics to Hope's potential new owner to see what she thought. She made the suggestion that perhaps the headpiece could be moved up slightly. Brilliant idea!
I also added a gold bead hoop earring to her right ear....