Thursday, January 15, 2009

WHAT HAPPENED!!???


I've been sick and haven't been in my studio, but was aching today to sculpt. This little fae, which was going to be "promise of spring" came together really well, except for the clay I was using.

I broke into a 'new' block of Prosculpt Baby that I purchased over a year ago. It was much softer than the consistancy I'm used to with Prosculpt and I remember reading on a doll forum a while back that there were some problems with some batches of Prosculpt, at that time. After playing with the clay for awhile I got used to the softness - it felt like I was sculpting with butter - and I did this little gal. I didn't even series bake which I usually do.

As much as I can figure out, and after going back and rereading some of the posts on the old forum, one of the problems with this prosculpt was that it darkened drastically for some people. uh huh...

The other problem was my fault. My oven was the correct temp (I checked with my thermometer), however I left the sculpt in my oven for almost 20 minutes and I then left it in the oven to cool down after shutting the oven off. I've done this before and have had the clay darken slightly, BUT nothing like this. The head did not get as dark but I think that is because the clay here was thicker.

Obviously, I'm going to have to order more clay and of the clay I have remaining, I'm going to have to be really careful and not use

anything from the 'bad' batch. GRRRRrrrr....

12 comments:

Unknown said...

holy cow, that is just crazy. I never used prosculpt before, and don't think I will. even though it was a fluke.
poor girl, can you save her, paint her or cover her in some long dress?

SpiritMama said...

Yes I agree with Mealy, get out the paint! Maybe she can be a dark colored fae, or purple (a plum fairy?) or something else you weren't planning, you can use this as an opportunity to try some crazy techniques you've never done before.

Good Luck!

Sue said...

Nicole, I love prosculpt and have used it ever since it came out. I know there were problems last year with some batches, and this was
a bar that I purchased around that time. I'm just hoping that any problems have been solved. :(

I don't think I can salvage this little gal. I may just keep her as a
'mascot' for my studio to remind me
to test any clay first that I may have
doubts about.

The Studio at Crow Haven Farm, LLC said...

OMG Sue...I thought that only happened to me! LOL You can totally save her...Like Nicole said, just put layer after layer of paint (skin tone) and just paint over her! Sometimes these things happen, for a reason..she might just surprise you! hehehehe
I know you are a huge fan of Prosculpt...email them and ask them if they can give you a discount or some free clay..It's worth a try! Good Luck...P.S. I can't wait to see what you do with her! I hope you feel better soon!
Cheers

Sue said...

LOL...maybe I can make her an 'earth'
faerie, brown skin, moss, dirt, etc.
Hey...it might work!

Nita said...

Noooo! Thats always so ,devatating^o^ Shes so sweet too. i think you should salvage her some of those salvage projects are really freeing and fun! Even if you decide to keep.

Oops! Desperate Blogger~ said...

Oh Shoot Sue! Seems like the clays have a new learning curve since they've been reformulated without phylates! All that work! But paint sounds like a great idea! She could become ever so enchanting easily!

Sue said...

Nita and Cindy, I think I will try and
salvage her...but I'm going to let her
"rest' for a bit yet. If I do anything with her, I will post about it.

Hugs,

sue

Silke Janas-Schloesser said...

Earth fairy ! Earth Fairy ,that´s a great idea !!! I´m sure you can do magic with her ! That poor little thing ! What a shock for you !I´ve also been through a lot of experiences and I have one fairy in my studio with nice striped socks... you can guess how she might look under the socks...similar to yours....I have finished this fairy with only "unperfect" parts, and she´s one of my favourites now !!!
Good luck to you !

Tryny Teichert said...

Hi Sue.
I'm using Puppen Fimo for making my doll. It's a great clay. I don't have moonies and I have backed my doll about 6 times without any changing on the color. Maybe would be something to try for you.
Tryny

Odddollz by Jacqui said...

Oh MY!!! Yes I think an earth fairy would work:) She has such a sweet face....I heard about this "bad" batch of clay but didn't get any. I need to order clay now though and I am afraid to order it anywhere except from Jack because of this. Ya never know who has this batch and I DO NOT want any:(
It am sure it was sad to see this when you opened the oven!! Sorry it happened to such a sweet thing. I know you will work your magic thougha nd it will look like you did it on purpose!! LOL

HUGZ
Jacqui

BumbleVee said...

oh, oh... more than a suntan.... hope you salvage her somehow.. or... could you rip off her head and use it on a different body?

hiya fellow Canuck and doll maker..thanks for stopping by my blog..