Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lemonade from a Lemon

Over a year ago I posted about a disaster I had using some old Prosculpt. What should have cured a soft pale colour, ended up a dark mottled tan/brown. I didn't trash the piece, thinking that someday I would play around and just see if I could save her.






My poor little fae "fresh" from the oven.



Originally I thought of using the darkness of her skin and doing something earth (or dirt) related, but this didn't overly inspire me. Last month, the ADO Monthly Challenge was "Spring Enchantment". I was responsible for this challenge so obviously had to create something. I pulled the poor little fae above from my discard basket and started painting.



She received a coat of gesso, three coats of Titan Buff (Golden acrylics),a coat of Green Interferance and some Burnt Umber wash (to give her a slightly antiqued look). I painted her features, wigged her, costumed her in antique laces and netting and used the wings I had made from fantasy film. She is holding a small nest I made with two little eggs in it and sitting on a "stone" (actually a repurposed resin candle stick) pedestal.









My ADO Spring Challenge piece ..."Rebirth"



I have a couple more pieces that I have thrown in my discard basket and one of these days, I may just see about making some more lemonade out of one of them. For now though, I'm on to some completely new work - using clay that I know will cure properly.


23 comments:

PolkadotToadstool said...

Wow that really is lemonade from a lemon. Good thing you saved her because she turned out beautiful!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful transformation!!!
I love her!! It is a true artist that can turn disaster into beautiful art.

Sprite said...

She turned out beautiful Sue! I think sometimes these things happen for a reason and while they may seem like accidents or inconveniences we just need to rethink our original plan and let them eventually show us what they wanted to become. This is proof! :) Love this piece! Just beautiful....

sassypackrat said...

She came out wonderfully!

julietk said...

She certainly was reborn :-) Love her. I need some advice re painting Fimo Puppen clay, any help would be so appreciated. It's for my project the one I can't reveal until it's done.

MLBetterly said...

Perfect! I just love it when things turn out better than we thought they would! She's beautiful, inspite of her checkered past... lol

Regina said...

She turned out fantastic. I think sometimes our muses think to far ahead of us...then we have to wait until we catch up to understand what they were wanting us to do with a piece. I think this was just what this lil darlin was suppose to be.

Hugs,
Regi

angela recada said...

Wow! She turned out beautifully. Her skin has a fabulous glow. I love the muted colors you used, too.

You really know how to make lemonade.
:0)

Anonymous said...

And she turned out so beautiful!!!
Love~P

Baroness Bijoutery said...

OMG Sue she is Stunning...You went past lemonade right to champagne...

Healing Woman said...

I love when this happens. Serendipity! And, I'd give anything to know how you ever made those fabulous butterfly wings!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

I know nothing about doll making however, I know beauty when I see it..and whe is beautiful. I cannot imagine having the talent to do this..really!

julie campbell said...

I'm so glad you didnt trash her Sue, look what a little beauty she really is !
Its a really lovely piece, all the more special because of her transformation :0)
julie xxx

Dianie said...

oh, look at her... She is gorgeous!
Her transformation is wonderful.

She is who she is supposed to be,perfect in every way.

~Diane

heather noye said...

she's lovely!!!

BumbleVee said...

wow....she turned out great for a salvage project!

Pearl said...

Your imagination always inspires me! Love the Antique look and the wings are beautiful. I do the same thing I throw stuff away in a box and then later on I will see my unfinished work and I have a day or two of just getting it all done. Then I feel wonderful. What a great job you did!

Ingrid Mida said...

Sue,
She is stunning!! I cannot believe she was once in your discard basket!!
I especially love her exquisite wings.

Kerin said...

What an amazing difference! She is absolutely fantastic Sue!!! A rebirth indeed!

Lynn Stevens said...

Oh my gosh, she is soooo Beautiful and to think you were going to throw her out. Its amazing how a thing of beauty can come from what you thought was a mistake. They say there are no mistakes and this proves it!

A Shabby Shack said...

She is beautiful and I just love how the wings turned out!

starcakeastrology.blogspot.com said...

this is beautiful! here's to rebirth!

Jdee said...

You're amazing Sue! She turned out gorgeous! I am so happy that you were able to save this little sweetheart... She was just waiting for the right moment to be 'born'~
xoxo