Tuesday, March 30, 2010

HOPE.....WIP Pics and Finished


HOPE


It's been abit of a long haul due to my right hand, but I finally have my bust done. I had a lot of fun with this piece, which was created for the ADO Monochromatic Challenge.

Some WIP pics:

The clay I use is Prosculpt. The head was sculpted over an aluminum foil egg shape. The neck was a 16 gauge wire, covered in foil and floral tape and then covered in clay. The base was a small novelty tin bucket I had that I covered in floral tape and then clay.


When painting over polymer clay I like to use a coat of gesso, or in a pinch, white acrylic paint. I find this gives a bit of a 'toothy' base for the finishing shades of paint to grab onto.


I was going with a neutral ivory/light mocha monochramatic theme for this piece and used Golden Titan Buff acrylic paint (2 coats) for the underlying skin colour. I then used
watered down Burnt Umber, adding it in small areas and rubbing it off to give an antiqued look.


After 'antiquing' the piece, I painted the lips and eyes. I also added any shading that I thought had to be done. The eyes were glazed with a 3D lacquer and the skin was sealed with a satin matt sealer.


The above pic was posted in a previous blog - one of the hardest parts of any piece I create is figuring out what fabrics and trims to use!


A follower of my blog saw the 'fabric indecision' pic and contacted me that she wanted this piece. I thought I had her finished yesterday however was not totally happy. I sent some pics to Hope's potential new owner to see what she thought. She made the suggestion that perhaps the headpiece could be moved up slightly. Brilliant idea!
I also added a gold bead hoop earring to her right ear....



26 comments:

julietk said...

Thanks for the work in progress etc. She is wonderful and I am sure her new owner will treasure her.

essie said...

O my, she's gorgeous Sue.
Her new owner will be so trilled with her.

Hugs,
Es

_____________________ said...

She looks amazing! I like everything about her!
Regards,
Irma

Unknown said...

Wow, she is GORGEOUS! As is all your work! Thanks for the sneak peak...love the use of fabric and the earring!

yoborobo said...

I love seeing how this piece evolved. :) She turned out beautifully!

Healing Woman said...

Absolutely the perfect name for this sculpture. She has the look of Hope. You captured that perfectly. What a beautiful piece. Congratulations to her new owner.

Cheryl

Debby said...

Oh my gosh, she is amazing, beautiful work.
Debby

Lance said...

She's incredible! I really enjoyed seing the progress of this piece.

Anonymous said...

She's stunning Sue. Definitely Hope is what she looks like she's look at or for.
You did a fantastic job on her and her new owner will Love her.

Tristan Robin said...

She's marvelous...maybe my absolute favorite piece of yours I've seen. There is something both peaceful and melancholy about her. She's a real heartbreaker.

Brava!

I wish she were mine!

peggy aplSEEDS said...

your work is awesome. thanks for sharing the progress pics!

Nita said...

Winsome little lady with jsut the right name Sue. She has that vintage look.

Unknown said...

this is really beautiful Sue, stunning! I hope I see more busts from you lol Love the colours you used for her

Jane Carlstrom said...

WOW oh Wow Sue, stunning and amazing. Your work is sheer awesomeness.

Vicki/Jake said...

Can't say much more than everyone before me other than I know how awesome you are!

Il Girasogno said...

oMG!!! SHE'S FANTASTIC I LOVE WORK

Sea Gypsy said...

She is a treasure to this Sea Gypsy!

Pearl said...

She is tops Sue! I really love her and like everyone said you captured her beautifully. I too wish she were mine!! Congrats Sea Gypsy at least I know she is going to the perfect person. Hey girlfriend!

Dorthe said...

Dear Sue, you are a fantastic talentet doll maker, this face is beautifull. Thanks for visiting my giveaway.
Hugs Dorthe

julie campbell said...

She is just so lovely Sue, Iknew you would dress her just right in the end, beautiful work !
julie xxx

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Your doll is just gorgeous, Sue! She is very expressive and I love the monochromatic theme and her beautiful outfit.
Hugs,
Julia

Renee Troy said...

She's incredible! I'm so inspired by your work...
xxoo

Anonymous said...

She's just beautiful. She has such a dreamy look on her face.


How do you "bake" something that large out of polymer clay?

Your tags are so pretty too!

Diane

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog, your creations are beau-ti-full,
Monique

BumbleVee said...

it's always amazing what a mm of movement can make... or a tiny bit of colour or...well, we know how the most trivial of details can mean the difference between good and great ...

she is lovely Sue....

Abi said...

She is fantastic, and I envy her new owner... I must say, it was a good move re-placing her head scarf :O)
I loved seeing the progress... helps me to learn new skills :O)